From:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:12:36 -0800
Dick Tuthill resorts to blatant lies when he states...

> Actually, I am not sure that I am comfortable with any of the > computer rankings. In particular, there is the issue of the > subjective biases built into them: KRACH, HEAL, and I forgot to > mention CHODR as well. Each starts off with a set of historically > based team strength influence coefficients (or similar) to get > them started. Thus, the results they produce are path dependent. > Yet another catch twenty-two. The new teams don't have a history > so they are arbitrarily rated low initially by an arbitrary > amount. Without connectivity in their NC schedules, that produces, > in some cases, a low final ranking which is what certain of us > have been looking for.

These statements are absolutely NOT TRUE. Anyone who claims they are is either a bald faced liar or simply doesn't understand how these rating systems work. I'll give Mr. Tuthill the benfit of the doubt and assume he is simply ignorant. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to appreciate how ignorant he is on this subject, since he doesn't seem to have the good sense to keep his mouth shut.

Prior to this Mr. Tuthill remarks...

> Well, in that case, why not use the HEAL ranking? That ranking had > QC at 10th. But of course, using the HEAL would not be consistent > with the unstated agenda. Nonetheless, the HEAL does have one > thing going for it that the KRACH does not. It is in use by the > Maine high school system while we are unaware that the KRACH is in > use anywhere in an official capacity.
 The HEAL is just as lacking in any credible statistical or probabilistic basis as is the RPI. The fact that it is used by Maine's High Schools is simply a tribute to the fact that Maine's High School athletic coaches are just as mathematically illiterate as are the inventors of the RPI. Or as is Mr. Tuthill, for that matter.

Bob "Not suffering fools gladly" Stagat
RPI '64 '68