From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:09:54 -0600
     I can't believe I'm opening my big mouth and jumping in this mythical
     proposition.

     When Army left the ECAC there were three schools under consideration,
     none of which pursued the membership.  Union, Middlebury and Babson.
     Not RIT, not Plattsburg and if it were today (1999) certainly not
     Quinipiac or UCONN.  Despite rumours to the contrary the Ivies are
     still a very strong and unified voice in the ECAC.

     Neither Quinipiac or UCONN fit the academic profile of the league.
     The reason Union was let in was because of their academics.  The Ivies
     would not be at a disadvantage recruiting wise.  If people think the
     Ivies will let in another UVM/ST. Lawrence profile they are nuts.
     Union has a similar AI to the Ivies, who will not put themselves at a
     disadvantage with schools like Quinnipiac and UCONN.  The last thing
     they want is another public or scholarship school.  (And last I
     checked UVM is considered one of the top two or three public
     universities in the country)

     All the speculation about Union dropping to DIII and leaving the ECAC
     has been from outside of Union.  Never have I heard it mentioned in
     Schenectady.

     Despite its disadvantages the coaches at Union (Delventhal, Moore and
     now Sneddon have done terrific jobs).  I would like to see some of the
     other coaches in the league to as much with as little.

     Give Union the scholarships/aid that Quinnipiac or UCONN has and I
     doubt they would ever lose a recruit to either.

     Lets stop this silly thread!!