From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:27:39 -0500
At 04:51 PM 2/15/99 -0500, Richard S. Tuthill wrote:
>        A couple of final thoughts on this thread. Brian Morris expressed
>disappointment about Union's financial aid policies regarding hockey
>players. To Union's credit they have been very upfront about what that
>policy is and how it will remain. It is a matter of institutional
>philosophy and it is aimed at providing aid to every student in need -- in
>other words making a scarce resource go around. That is a fine goal and one
>for which we should not criticize them.

In addition, it's always been academics first at Union. When I started
attending Union, I was told by friends and family that Union was a great
choice due to its academic reputation. That plus the general philosophy of
the school's administration tells me that the administration is not really
focusing on athletics (at least not hockey) as much as it is focusing on
education. As Dick said, we have no reason to criticize a school for providing
aid to a *student* in need. After all, it is a school, isn't it?

I would love to see this program move their play up to the higher echelon
of the ECAC and become a team that helps make a visit to the Schenectady-
Troy area a very difficult one for all opponents (not to mention heat up the
cross-town rivalry). It would be great to make the Albany area more of a
hockey hotbed.

>Personally I would rather see Achilles get some
>major renovation including women's team accommodations. Big new rinks are
>very sterile places, especially if they are not filled to capacity.

Renovation was supposed to take place at the end of this academic year.
It was part of the announcement that Union hockey will continue to play
its games at Achilles (as opposed to the off-campus rink). I'd give the
details, but I can't seem to find the article.

>Achilles has a lot of character very much like Walker had at Tech.

May Walker rest in peace.....

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93
Union College '95