From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:47:05 -0500
I seem to recall that Stephen King took out a full page
ad in one of the Portland(?) newspapers back in 1993
congratulating Maine on their national championship.
Noting that plus the fact that his radio station broadcasts
the games, it follows that he has "some" interest in Maine hockey.
If nothing else, perhaps contacting him or a station manager and
hooking them up with broadcast.com might get the ball rolling.
There seems to be any number of ways to get on the net.

In Denver, the DU games are broadcast on commercial radio but
the commercial station broadcasts through broadcast.com.
At Michigan and Minnesota, the games are carried commercially
and the commercial stations themselves broadcast over the net.

At RPI, the games are carried by the school radio station.
The Alumni Office funded a server and turned it over to WRPI.
I don't know who maintains the server, WRPI or someone who
reports to the Alumni Office.

At Union, as I understand it, they couldn't get the school to
sponsor the broadcast so a group of students put together a
server and got the broadcasts going. It's been going strong
for three or four years now.

There are any number of ways to do it. As a larger percentage
of Maine alumni disperse around the country and have a "hockey
linkage" to their alma mater, the larger the need for a national or
international reach for the Maine hockey program. Appeal to the
Alumni Office for funding. At RPI, the Alumni Office found that
broadcasting over the internet actually helped fund raising attempts with
alumni by renewing a link between the graduate and the school. It
seems like that approach might work for Maine also.

At 01:13 PM 2/13/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Well that's a good question...
>
>I have been looking into getting Maine hockey games on the internet and
>have talked with a few people about this.  I talked with Hockey East
>Director of Media Relations Ed Saunders and he said that there was some
>interest at the beginning of the season by UM's sports information.  I
>also talked with Michael McCauley, the professor who is head of the
>student radio station at Maine, about this because the student station
>WMEB 91.9 broadcast some of the home games.  I personally would like to
>have the students get involved in doing broadcast on the internet.  I
>think this would help to add credibility to their experience.  All of
>the games are broadcast on 620 AM, a local sports station owned by
>Stephen King.  What would be ideal is that a partnership could be
>formed so that the students could do the home games on the net and WZON
>could do the away games.
>
>I do not know the level of interest for having these games broadcast on
>the net.  I think that since most of the players friends, family, and
>relatives do not live within the broadcast range of WZON or WMEB that
>they would have some interest in hearing these games.  If there are
>others that would like to listen to these games, it would be nice to
>know.  I plan to send this email to Michael McCauley, WZON, and UM's
>sports information.
>
>I personally listen to games on the net though they are mostly HE
>games.  Since I live over 300 miles away from Boston, the internet sure
>beats the days when I would try to get BU games on  the AM.
>
>Mark McCafferty
>Masters Student in Communication
>University of Maine

Mark Lewin