From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:46:00 EST
On FEb 9, 1999, Ben, [log in to unmask] wrote:

<snip>
but the rest now wear the standardized version.

McSorely wears a Jofa 235, an unchanged model from 25 years ago! The sticker
on the back of this helmet warns that it is not be used for hockey. Jagr wears
a Jofa 390, Damphousse wears a Jofa 366. Larinov Tikkanen, and Wayne Gretsky
wear Jofas! All at the time of my last helmet research were wearing Jofas.
There is no one standarized model yet.... to my knowledge, that they all wear!

>plain absurd, it's like saying players choose their team because >of its
uniforms. You're generalizing way too much.

Actually, the statement about the hairdos came from several articles I read on
the topic of vanity in the NHL. Helmets are hard on the scalp and hair and
vanity goes with the territory! This is hardly a generalization! It's a fact!
Players have choices. They still can choose their sticks, skates, and helmets.
As to rookies, I see lots of Bauer and CCM helmets.

>information or protecting them from themselves and over >regulation and
hounding them with useless info.

In regard to protection, most players don't want to hear about it. The
majority of participants on this list are very opinionated about what they do
and don't want to read. It just depends on how well informed you want to be.
There is no such thing as being over-informed about equipment safety. The
truths about helmets may seem hard to swallow, insignificant, silly, but facts
don't lie! The opinion of college coaches to NHL VPs is that helmet technology
needs a boost! This is not just my opinion!

>Hey a fight makes a good spectacle.

I definitely am in the minority here! Maybe if you had sons out there playing
you would feel differently about that part of the sport. I can hardly be
detached about seeing someone lose an eye or lose their motor capability,
whether it's my son or not! Yes, of course play goes on and it's a
contact/collision sport! In a THN article Jeff Libby said, if he had to do it
all over again he wished he would have worn the shield.

My own son will not listen to me about wearing a face shield in the minors!
There aren't lots of listers who have brought a 21 one year through the hockey
ranks that post on this list! So, my perspective may seem somewhat maternal
and protective....but hardly useless!

There are two factions here: you may represent the kind of fan who  is only
into stats, season outcomes, fights, etc. I'm interested in everything related
to the sport. I'm not just limited in interest to player safety, better
equipment, and enforcement of the rules! But, I don't hide my head in the sand
in regard to the truths about equipment failure and unnecessary brutal on ice
behavior! And, now, either does the NHL! They want on the tube, so their act
gets cleaned up or there's no SHOW!

Vicki Price
violentcontact.net
Concussion Free Zone