From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 23:43:29 -0600
> I think you reflect my reaction to fighting very well, with a couple if
> minor exceptions.  I think that there are many more fans who have your view
> of fighting -- laughing at the absurdity of it all -- than you say.  My high
> school hockey playing son thinks the fights are a gas, but it doesn't affect
> his game one bit.

Having seen hockey extensively at different levels, my only wish on fighting is
that the pros would just admit that the only reason it's there is for
entertainment and get rid of the pretense that it's anything else. In that
sense, it is like pro wrestling. Unfortunately, working in the minors, I see all
sorts of fights, from one-on-one bouts that are actually entertaining, to
all-out debacles that take 20 minutes to sort out.

You hear all sorts of excuses from administrators and players:

"If not for fighting, there's be too much stickwork, like college and Europe"
"You need to protect your teammates"
"You need to create space"
"You're getting banged around all the time, you get frustrated"

blah, blah, blah

There is more illegal (and potentially harmful) stickwork in the minor leagues
BY FAR than anything I have ever seen in college. I say this with no fear of
anyone proving otherwise. Two-handed slashes are a way of life in the minors.

Why is it college players can hit hard and clean a lot, but don't see the need
to fight? Because they know they can't, so it doesn't cross their mind. In the
pros, every time there's a hard nosed play, it's as if you have to get into a
staring contest at least, just to prove your manlihood.

As for the other excuses -- I don't know, football players probably get pretty
beaten up too, but you don't see them throwing off their helmets and squaring
off on a regular basis. Why? Because they know they'll get ejected if they do.

If someone would just say, "Hey, the players get a kick out of it, gives them
something to brag about, and many fans enjoy it."  Then we could all get on with
things.

Of course, saying this on a college hockey message board - I'm probably
preaching to the converted, in more cases than not. But if I said it in the
company of fans from our team and league, I'd probably get fired.

AW