From:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:05:17 -0600
According to the ECAC website:

> >>Harvard's 7-6 victory over Northeastern in the first round of the Beanpot
> > [which was the second league game between the two] shall act as a 6-6 in
> > the league standings but count as a 7-6 Harvard victory in the overall
> > standings.  The ECAC does not currently have a league policy that
> > addresses league games that are played in regular season tournaments.
> League games may only last a maximum of 65:00 [the Harvard victory was at
> 9:53 of the first OT].  The ECAC and its membership will review these
> types of situations at the 1999 spring meetings and formulate a policy for
> the future.<<
>
> Why don't they do what the men do (I know, three of the four aren't in the
> ECAC) and play each other often enough that it doesn't have to count as a
> conference game.  Heck, it's not as if it's a long road trip.

Harvard, as an Ivy League member, is limited to 29 regular-season games. They
play 26 in the ECAC (two against the other 13 schools). That limits them to
three non-conference games, two of which were at the All-American tournament in
November. In order to play two more non-conference games, which the Beanpot
would normally be, they had to double up with one counting as a conference game.

Craig Roberts, University of Minnesota
Assistant Sports Information Director
Check out the Gophers on the Web at http://www.gophersports.com
Or call the Diet Coke Gopher Sports Hotline at (612) 626-STAT
GO GOPHERS!

For women's college hockey statistics go to:
http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?news_id=273