From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:46:06 -0500
Well, I'm now fully rested after getting home Tuesday morning at 1:00.
Monday's doubleheader was the most exciting opening round I can
remember, as both games went into OT (the third time that's happened).

You just knew Harvard was going to tie up Northeastern.  They pulled the
goalie with one minute remaining and had three faceoffs in the Husky
end.  The Crimson won all three faceoffs -- how did NU allow that to
happen?  In the end, Northeastern was the better team.  They have much
more firepower than Harvard.

Let me go on record as saying that BU's win over BC was the biggest win
the Terriers have ever had in the Beanpot.  This is a team that has hit
depths it has not been accustomed to in years, and they pull off a huge
upset.  This after Jack Parker benched three players on Friday against
Lowell, all of whom were a factor on Monday.  The Terriers were in
desperate need of a morale booster while in the middle of what can only
be called a train wreck of a season, and they got it.  Regardless of how
BU ends the season, this team will always remember this first round
victory.

Michel Larocque was the number 1 star in this game, and if BU goes on to
beat Northeastern he is a cinch to be tourney MVP.  Larocque started the
season on very shaky ground, but has played well at times lately.  Jerry
York called him the best goalie in the country, but I'm not too sure
about that.  The fact remains that he has in front of him the worst
group of defensemen BU has ever fielded and that has an effect on his
stats.  Their two best defensemen are freshmen who have each spent a
prolonged period on the disable list, while at least one other blueliner
has no business in Division 1.  Larocque is the difference this year
between BU winning and losing.

BC must be devastated.  You never saw such a fast exodus from an arena
as when Russ Bartlett scored the game winner.  The Eagles have won the
Beanpot just three times since 1965, and they are the only team in the
tourney this year who is nationally ranked.  They must hear BU saying to
them in their sleep, "We own this tournament, and in this tournament we
own you."  For those of you outside New England who have never
experienced the Beanpot, do not underestimate what this drought means to
BC.  There are players on all four teams who specifically choose those
schools so that they can play in the Beanpot.  Many of these players
always remember the joy in winning and the agony in losing this
tournament more than any other moment in their college hockey careers.
Just wondering:  is the GLI in Michigan anywhere near as important to
the schools, the players, and (most importantly) the community as the
Beanpot is?

Next Monday will be fun, with 75% of the Fleet Center rooting for
Northeastern and against BU, as usual. :-)

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller