From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:01:02 -0500
As Bill Fenwick mentioned, reaction to the Jason for Hobey ad has been
quite prevalent on the USCHO Message Board (which, I'm afraid, is getting
to be like Hockey L used to be).  As a board member of the Friends of UNH
Hockey, I can tell you we did not pay for the add.  In fact, the issue was
never brought up at a board meeting, where all expenditures are approved.

My sources tell me that the ad was produced by the UNH athletic department
in conjunction with WENH-TV, Channel 11, Durham, which provided technical
support.  The ad was primarily produced for the Hobey Committee (every
member will receive a copy in a few weeks, with updated stats).  The
thinking was to get the ad on the FSNE broadcasts to counter the natural
biases of the Boston media.

I know this last statement may cause some flak, but there is no question
that HE players who do not play in Boston (primarily BU and BC) do not get
their fair shake in terms of publicity unless they are absolutely
exceptional.  I know that others will cite Scott Pellerin as an example
that disproves my theory but, I think, that his was a different time (1992)
when publicity machines in hockey are not what they are today.

There is a tendency in Boston sportswriting to see everything with Boston
colored glasses. Read the Globe and the Herald and its all about how such
and such will impact the Red Sox or the Patriots, BC or BU.  It still
rankles me that in the days leading up to the Frozen Four at the Fleet that
barely a mention was made of UNH in the Boston press, despite the fact that
the school is 1 1/2 hours from Boston and the team had 8 or 9 kids from
Greater Boston on it.

Everybody knows about the Drury for Hobey controversy last year. Although
it is quite clear that HE is emphasizing Krog more than its other
candidates, both FSNE broadcasts I've seen referred to Gionta ad nauseum.
In fact Sean Grande basically state that Gionta was his man for the Hobey.
Who knows how many times he has seen him or, for that matter, Krog?

I guess my point is that the UNH folks felt they had to do something to
counteract the Boston bias.  Maybe it's a little bit distasteful, but no
more so than Bertagna's shilling for Drury.  At least UNH is paying for it!

Greg Ambrose

Karen Ambrose
UNH '72
GO BLUE!!!