From:
John Gabarra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:51:38 EST
Many people in Maine wonder why Paul Kariya's number 9 has not been
retired, but it is UMaine's policy to only retire numbers of those
student-athletes who finish their degree.  Since Paul Kariya didn't
even complete two years of college, he isn't "eligible".

I have heard that Paul was a junior, scholastically speaking, upon his
"defection" to the Ducks - he may even have taken classes since...it wouldn't
surprise me given the family influence on education. After all, ya gotta have
something to fall back on if this hockey thing doesn't work out!!

GO MAINE!!!!!
Regards,

John