From:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:41:38 -0600
The University of North Dakota has begun a campaign for forward Jason
Blake. I have not heard of UND doing anything like this in previous years.

See an article in the Grand Forks Herald:
http://www.northscape.com/sports/local/0117siouxhockey.htm

Some clips from the article:

"Mailing approximately 300 hockey pucks featuring Blake's photo in a Team
USA uniform during the World Championships that Blake played in during
early November...
Pucks will be mailed to all members of the Hobey Baker Selection
Committee, as well as to other major media members across the nation...
The architect behind the promotional program is Sioux coach Dean Blais,
who came up with the concept of the "Hobey Blaker" puck. UND's sports
information office and promotions department are expected to be part of
the effort."

Like everybody who's posted so far, personally, I dislike the idea of
having to promote your player like this.  However, I cannot blame UND if
other schools (and leagues?!) have been doing this kind of thing.

KirkE