Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:27:02 -0700
At 10:55 PM 1/26/99 -0500, Ben Fleckinger wrote:

>> This is a city where a 18,000 seat arena is going to sign up  for a
>>college hockey event without knowing who the teams are going to be?

Sounds kinda like Anaheim and Columbus, don't it?

To the "outsiders" it may not seem that college hockey is too big here in
Colorado. However, every time I wear my BU jersey about town -- whether
Boulder or Denver -- somebody always mentions something.

Just about everyone that's lived here for more than a few years that is
somewhat of a sports fan has been to a DU game -- it was a strong hockey
tradition here long before the Avalanche and the "original" Rockies.

Besides, I'm not strictly talking the Pepsi center, either. The World Arena
in Colorado Springs is an absolutely beautiful facility, and I wager it
would sell out even if Denver and CC weren't involved in games there.

Likewise when DU's new rink is finished (next season) it will also be a
classy facility. And just like the World Arena, it do extremely well in
attendance if hosting a regional.

Of course, involve just one of the three D1 teams out here and getting
tickets would be tough indeed. Involve two of them and tickets would be
next to impossible to get -- for the smaller rinks. Move the regionals to
the Pepsi center and you'd definitely see 10,000+ for each game.

greenie