From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:53:33 -0500
Ahh, speaking of MIT and "old rinks."

I played hockey at MIT in the pre-Johnson days.  Now THERE was a RINK.

Outdoors, uncovered.  The only "shelter" was that the benches were enclosed.
Spectators, (not that there were many, just a stray girlfriend, parent, or
fraternity brother) stood in the elements and at their peril (chain link
fencing at the ends, nothing around the sideboards).  The Zamboni was used
to clear snow off the ice surface (REAL snow, not ice shavings).  And
sometimes teams would have disadvantages that you don't normally think of,
like skating into a headwind or the goalie having to look into the sun.

Clay

[. . .]

> MIT has a real interesting rink in Johnson.  Small as can be: short and
> narrow.  You turn up by the goal quick or you're in the boards.  Oddly
> enough, the same exact seats as Matthews.  Nice place to watch a game
> because the stands are steep and there's a Toscanni's (local ice cream
> joint) within 100 yards.  Ice is fairly quick, and unlike many people with
> much more money, who seem to believe everything is a private club, they
> are great with the general skating hours.  You always see a flock of MIT
> students carrying their skates over to Johnson.

[. . .]