From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:18:28 -0500
The old Michigan Coliseum, which I believe now, like Sniverly, is an IM
building, was not a treat.  The ice was small and not a great surface to
skate on.  The boards were weird at best.  Definitely a home ice
advantage.  There was little sitting, and you sat so low and close it was
tough seeing what was happening at the other end.  Of course Michigan was
in the WCHA at that point, so with Michigan Tech, Minnesota and Wisconsin
coming in for two nighters, the hockey was incredible (unless you were a
dyed in the wool Michigan supporter).   Yost was a huge improvement when
they turned Fielding's Field House (basketball and indoor track) into the
an ice arena.  I remember it taking about three season to slowly develop
the character of a hockey rink, but as improvements were made it got that
feeling.  And the ice was wonderful to start, though I have no idea how it
is now.  Always a fair amount of general skating at the Coliseum and Yost.

MIT has a real interesting rink in Johnson.  Small as can be: short and
narrow.  You turn up by the goal quick or you're in the boards.  Oddly
enough, the same exact seats as Matthews.  Nice place to watch a game
because the stands are steep and there's a Toscanni's (local ice cream
joint) within 100 yards.  Ice is fairly quick, and unlike many people with
much more money, who seem to believe everything is a private club, they
are great with the general skating hours.  You always see a flock of MIT
students carrying their skates over to Johnson.

There are problems with Northeastern's Matthews/Boston Arena, but it has a
great feel.  The sight lines aren't always the best, but I like the top
row of the balcony.  You do miss the corner under you, but the rest of the
view is marvelous (and who wants to see the scrum in the corner anyway - I
know, I know - that's what hockey is all about!).  One added feature, you
can turn the radiators up yourself!!!  Very nice on a cold day at a
women's game when Matthews turns unusually frosty.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf