From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:26:42 -0500
Considering the sentiments below, and others in a similar vein, I ask this:

Has anyone on this list complimented Merrimack for having kept its' "small
arenas around in the spirit of diversity" and not looking toward its
eventual replacement ?? Or that "a vociferous crowd wedged into a small
building, it makes sense we'd prefer the noise level and crowd
participation that large venue fans might not appreciate"  ??

Does anyone from Durham, NH really wish they would trade the Whittemore
Center for "lively Snively" because: "the atmosphere is so attractive is
that it's a rink filled with people who made the same decision.  It's an
active rather than a passive environment.  And then, the added value of
intimacy clinches it."  ?? (written beforethe Ambroses' points, which were
very well taken).

Also, there have been criticisms lately on this list about Walter Brown
Arena...

I do miss lake Placid, and wish the Frozen Four would return there, but
doubt it very much...I have fond memories of the first time I met North
Dakota partisans.

from the list by:
*  Greg Berge
*  Portland, Oregon
>-- [ From: Kepler * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>>  I'm not joking; with the season tickets I had
>> in old Mariucci when I was a student, I could not see one of the nets.
>
>That's valid of course, though in a 10k+arena at least *half* the seats are
>"obstructed view."  They are simply obstructed by distance.  Watching the
>Frozen Four from the upper deck (first row) last year was basically like
>having a big TV party where some of your friends invite really unattractive
>dates.  It is awful not to be able to hear the blades cutting the ice.
>
>As I say, viva la difference.  The large arenas will stay where they are --
>they generate $$ and that's the bottom line for people who have to pay off
>large bills to... finance large arenas.    So let's also keep the small
>arenas around in the spirit of diversity.

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***