From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:17:50 -0500
> >  Bright is nice and close, but cold and forget hearing who scored.

I think there are two parts to PA systems that work:
a) do you have a speaker system that can kick it out so people can hear,
no matter how loud it gets,
b) do you have a person who does annunciate.

Bright's announcer is fine, but the system is worse then, as Carol has put
it, "the grownup voices on a Peanut's special."  Ten years ago it worked
ok, but with little maintenance (like the rest of Bright!), it died.  The
latest is putting up a ton of mini-speaker horns - kind of looks like an
overkill version of air raid sirens.  But last time I was there (BC) they
still didn't work.

Matthews has a fine sound system, and the woman who use to do the
announcements at the women's games was wonderful.  Clear as a bell, knew
the players names, just an excellent voice and you always knew what she
was saying.  The men's guy goes for the big effect and the result is it is
difficult at best to pick up the scoring.  And at the women's games the
new people never know the names and seem to have problems with numbers!

Sound is a hard thing to get right in buildings, especially when sound is
probably the last thing on anyone's mind at the design stage.  But then,
I've been in too many concert halls that have the same exact problem.
Perhaps a better scoreboard that allows you to post the scorer information
would be an answer?

/
 good shooting
 hungerf