From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:28:50 -0500
I agree with John and Greg that there is something special about seeing
college hockey in a home rink/smaller venue.  And with the possible format
of 16-8-4, the first weekend at least could serve that purpose, and give
those top seeds the advantage so many want.  Then have your regional 8 and
your final 4 in the larger buildings.

While I basically liked CentreFleece enough last year to try the
HockeyEast Championships again this year, in general the bigger the
facility and the more stuff involved the more I feel trapped in
consumerism, and I often enjoy the hockey less.  When the circus
atmosphere starts with all the canned elevator music - forget it.  Now two
spirited bands and fans having it out - that can and does electrify a
hockey game - SEE CORNELL.

While I like Yost and Bright a lot, I'll have to admit Matthews/Boston
Arena at Northeastern is a gem.  It is big enough (6500ish) to hold a
large crowd.  The main seating puts you right on top of the action.  But
upstairs is equally interesting as you feel over the ice surface.
Matthews also has the nice old steel arches, like Yost and all that
height.  The drawbacks would be the support columns block a few seats, you
can't always see all the ice in the balcony, and the awful pop music at
the stoppage of play - not too mention an announcer you can't understand.
But BC's Conte Forum, which most people love, I don't like because I
always feel far away from the ice, and something/someone is usually
blocking my view.  Bright is nice and close, but cold and forget hearing
the who scored.  Yeah - Matthews is a real nice venue for hockey - the
ECAC Women's DI final four has a great feeling there.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf