From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:50:49 -0500
Gary Berge wrote:

>>Interesting couple of paragraphs, especially the contention (quoted from
> Marsh of SLU) that there's unanimity among the coaches for a sweet 16.
> One
> might think that the perpetual top 10's would want to keep things the way
> they are.<<

The teams that really benefit from the current setup are the teams that get
the byes.  That's not consistent enough a group for someone to be opposed on
that basis.  I'd suspect that even a perpetual top 10 team would want to
ensure themselves a shot at the tournament, even if they have an off year.
Now that I think about it, I think the only ones who would be opposed would
be the purists like me.  Also, the arenas that were already scheduled for
regionals next year see their product devalued somewhat might squawk.
They'd have three games instead of four,  one "final" (that is a game the
determines a participant in the final four) instead of two, and fans from
four schools in town spending money instead of six.

>>Wonder if they might throw in consies to up the attendance?  It might be
fun
> to see two quality teams play with nothing but pride on the line -- and
> showcasing for the scouts.<<

My guess is that they'd do what they do with the finals.  Last year, they
sold the big majority of the seats on a "block" basis (i.e. you buy the
seats for all three games).  There were a limited number of single game
tickets, mostly for the participating schools.  I admit a bias here.  I hate
consolation games; the one exception being the Beanpot, in which you are
guaranteed a game between two teams that know and hate each other.

>>Why wouldn't it?  Let's say you're the UNC rep on the committee.  The only
> ice you've ever seen is in your drinks, and you couldn't care less if the
> hockey tourny is 16, 12, or 0.  Skirting the issue of why you're voting at
> all, what would be the rationale for not simply accepting the hockey
> schools' consensus, whatever it was?  There's obstinacy I suppose, but I
> would think the political log-rolling instinct would be far stronger.<<

By UNC, do you mean North Carolina?  Well, I see another reason for taking
an interest.  16 teams means four regionals instead of two. You have an NHL
franchise and therefore a local stadium.  You love them yankee tourist fans
spending yankee dollars.  You don't have any college teams nearby, but you
also note that Anaheim's location is such that the "sponsoring institution"
is about 3000 miles away.

Clay