From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:34:22 -0600
Always good to see a message from Scott on the list, but ...

> 4.  Many at both the junior and college levels need to look,  again,  at
> the commitment to developing players.  In college,  there is also the
> academic mission,  and this separates it from "Major" junior,  but major
> A is still better at developing players because it will take a top
> 16-year-old and play that kid every night.

I know we've had this discussion before.

The problem of development is a major one in Major Junior also ... There was
like a 15-part series in the Toronto paper last year (which I saved) about
the deterioration of player development in Canadian Juniors. This series
essentially trashed the entire system from top to bottom.

I certainly agree, however, that the US colleges have not been keeping
nearly as many of the top players as the 80's and early 90's, and Scott
usually has good insights into why that is. But as far as development once
they're there, I don't see any more drastic a problem in the US as anywhere
else.

AW