From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:51:38 -0500
Some thoughts on the age-related thread:

As I always try to point out when we get a bit preachy on NC$$ rules about
hockey, hockey operates under the same rules generally as other sports.
You will never get age restrictions on hockey when hoops have a
"developmental" program in what has become known as "juco" (junior
college).  Not much different than in hockey, eh ?

Notice how few collegiate rosters, such as those on Web sites, or the lists
in programs, fail to list player's birthdates or ages, only listing their
class.  You have to dig very deep to get that information, and it's not
just in hockey, either.  The almighty NC$$ even buys into this charade: I
just looked at my 1995 championship program -- no ages or birthdates
listed.

If you want to adjust rules to maximize the age-performance benefit, I
suggest lowering the eligible age to 13 or so, thereby making NC$$
gymnastics more competitive using "athletes at their prime".  Hell, by the
time those little tykes make it into college, they're way over the hill.

Speaking about over the hill -- maybe baseball should have had Nolan Ryan
give back the no-hitter he pitched at age 44, was it ?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***