From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 18:27:16 -0500

>Now, having settled that (<g>), what about the number of games?  In order to
>avoid the problems of a team just getting lucky and/or a hot/cold goalie for
>one night, how about making the first two rounds (down to the final, er,
>"frozen" four) two-game series with a minigame in case of a split?  Or even
>best two of three?

I agree wholeheartedly. Every team has an "off" night, even the
nation's top teams. I have no problem with extending the tournament
from 12 to 16 teams but one does want to reward the top teams for
a good season.  In the past, that reward has been a bye which I find
is too much of a reward. But putting them in a one game elimination
series with a team that's ranked 15th or 16th doesn't reward them at all,
especially in a regional format when they play at a "neutral site".
I favor the best 2 of 3 format at the home site of the higher seed.
This, IMHO, provides an adequate reward for the higher seed (and their
fans).

It hurts to say that, since, as a resident of the Albany,NY area,
I have had the pleasure of having several Eastern regionals in recent years
in my immediate area.

BTW, I'm against the 2 game total goal idea.
I've been through the 2 game total goals series and I don't think
it holds the excitement of the best 2 of 3.

Mark Lewin
RPI '69