Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:31:39 -0500
-- [ From: Kepler * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Somebody offered:

> The way I see it, the people on here who don't want to expand it are like
the
> people in Omaha who don't want a new arena. They want the status quo now
and
> forever, despite the fact that the area (# of hockey team/city of Omaha)
is
> getting bigger. Well, the status quo can't work forever, and it's better
to be
> a little early and prepare for the future than to be late and have to
catch up
> after it bites you in the rear (which its starting to do in Omaha with teh
> arena issue).

Funny how everyone rushes to claim they know the "future," and are merely
acting in acordance with reality.  What nonsense.  The future doesn't "come"
-- we MAKE it.

I *want* to expand the tournament to 16, but I greatly respect the people
who'd like to see it return to 8 (12 is untenable and silly).  It's an old
game to co-opt the terms of the argument in order to make your opinion seem
like "just facing the facts," but it's mere posturing.  There are valid
arguments to be made in favor of 8 or 16.

--

*  Greg Berge