From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:32:08 -0600
I tend to agree with Greenie.  An 8 team field seems too small - too many
teams on the bubble who actually might have a chance at the title - but 12
teams causes some problems.  While 16 is quite a few, and the bottom 4-6
probably have no chance at the final, they do have a shot at glory by
knocking off a highly regarded team that takes them lightly.  And that, my
friends, is exciting stuff.

> Quite frankly, I'd say every team deserves a shot at the national
> championship.
>
> While it may be difficult to choose the best 12 (soon possibly 16), the
> NCAA has a very strict, clear and public method of determining those 12
> teams. If you make it in to the tournament, you get to play for the
> trophy.

        <snip>

Now, having settled that (<g>), what about the number of games?  In order to
avoid the problems of a team just getting lucky and/or a hot/cold goalie for
one night, how about making the first two rounds (down to the final, er,
"frozen" four) two-game series with a minigame in case of a split?  Or even
best two of three?

Tom Rowe                                          [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners Up 92 & 98