From:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 15:20:03 -0500
Margaret Simon wrote:
> Seems to me if a "junior" has finally seen the light (.. that he might
> need to be prepared for life after hockey .. ) why should he be
> penalized?  An education IS valuable and, sad as it is, hockey does
> end -- sometimes much too soon!

I was under the impression that a large percentage of the players that
play in the Junior B leagues do so in the hopes of getting a scholarship.
The leagues themselves make a big deal about the players who have earned
US College scholarships (at least one, BCJHL, had a list of such players
prominently displayed on their web site). The kids who only want to go pro
tend to play Junior A  and get paid for it. So there's really no reason
to penalize these kids - many had already "seen the light" before playing
juniors at all.

I don't really have a problem with 21 year old freshmen but I do find it
funny that this year Cornell has two freshmen who are almost four full
years apart in age. Denis Ladouceur will be 22 next month and Krzysztof
Wieckowski just turned 18 a week or so ago.

Keith Kannenberg
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://mae.cornell.edu/kannenb/