From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:13:54 -0500
[log in to unmask],.Internet writes:
>And to give credit where it's due, Bruce Crowder is the best coach in
>Hockey
>East.  As I noted above, the Huskies skate no seniors; this is Crowder's
>team.  I was surprised at how poorly Northeastern performed during the
>first
>half of the season, but look out for them in the Beanpot and in March.

Bruce Crowder is a fantastic coach, but is he the best in HE?
Possibly.  If I was building a team today I'd want someone like him,
young and successful.  He's proven he can do a lot with very little,
but not much more beyond that.

You've got to remember that he was taught by Shawn Walsh and is very
similar in many respects.  I know many people on this list dislike
Shawn Walsh, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the man can
flat out coach.. period.  Let's also not forget that Walsh's Maine team
is currently #2 in the nation with only 16 scholarships as the Black
Bears serve a final season of rule violation sanctions.  When all the
top teams like UNH and BC have 18, those two scholarships make a huge
difference -- two quality starting players.  Walsh has done a terrific
job to turn a .500 team into a winner with 2 less scholarships, with
some very key injuries as well.. love him or hate him he's good and
regardless of what anyone says 90 percent or more of the colleges in
this country would hire him today as their hockey coach.

I also don't think we should be so quick to dismiss Jack Parker.
Parker is also a terrific coach as well.  Yes, BU is struggling this
year and yes recruting has hurt them.  Maybe this just goes to show how
valuable Blaise MacDonald was to BU recruiting-wise.  But does anyone
think that BU is suddenly going to be a yearly dormat?  Does any HE
team really want to play BU in the playoffs?  The answer is clearly no
to both questions.  They are still dangerous beacuse they are still
Boston University and Jack Parker is still the coach.  Every team has
its down years and BU has been on top for so long it is tough to
swallow, but the Terriers will be back.. no doubt about it.

-dt