From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:49:47 -0500
I didn't have the benefit of watching the game on FSNE, as I had the great
misfortune of being in attendance.

This was not just a matter of Northeastern having a better team.
Northeastern has some fine talent, and IMHO the Terriers don't have five
players who could skate for the Huskies right now.   Nor is this is not a
case of BU being inexperienced.  BU has three seniors while NU has only two;
the difference is that NU's seniors don't even suit up for the game.

The fans at Walter Brown Arena have been patient with this team, and I for
one thought that Sunday's matchup with Northeastern was to be the start of
an upbeat second half.  But last night many of us, including Jack Parker and
the WROL radio announcers I listened to on the ride home, were appalled by
the complete lack of inspiration and enthusiasm the players brought onto the
ice.  Last night's game was just painful to watch, so much so that mid-way
through the second period Parker called a timeout to chew his team out for
their lackluster performance even though they were down only two goals.

As I've been saying all year, the problem has been with recruiting.  They
are missing out on the players they used to get, while some of the players
they have brought in are role players at best.  Some serious improvement
needs to be made in that department quickly, or BU is in line for at least
two more years of mediocrity.

And to give credit where it's due, Bruce Crowder is the best coach in Hockey
East.  As I noted above, the Huskies skate no seniors; this is Crowder's
team.  I was surprised at how poorly Northeastern performed during the first
half of the season, but look out for them in the Beanpot and in March.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller