From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:19:53 +0100
Greg Berge writes:

> Senior captain Kyle Knopp scored two goals and added an assist to widen his
> team leading (6-18-24) numbers, and freshmen Denis Ladouceur (goal and
> assist) and David Kozier (two assists) added two points each, but Cornell
> dropped a decision to Ohio State tonight, 3-5.  Cornell had a 2-1 lead late
> in the second, when OSU proceded to pick up the next three tallies.  In the
> final minute of the game, Knopp pulled the Big Red back to within one with a
> goal with the extra skater, before OSU put in an empty netter.

I think that technically speaking, it was not an empty-netter; Burt
was halfway to the bench when OSU got control of the puck, tried to
get back into the net and couldn't get in front of the shot.  The goal
completed a hat trick for Hugo Boisvert, who also assisted on the
Buckeyes' two other goals.

This game was eerily similar to SC Bern's loss to league-leading Ambri
Tuesday night, BTW; up 3-2 in the second, the Bears gave up two goals
and then a seemingly back-breaking third one late in the game.  As the
fans started to leave, a Bern goal brought the game to within one, put
Ambri sealed the 6-4 win with an empty-netter at the horn.  Also, the
eventual gamewinner was scored when SCB goaltender Renato Tosio came
out of the net to try and stop a breakaway, missed the poke-check, and
left the Ambri skater with 20 feet of ice and an open net.

Also exciting, also dissapointing (from my perspective).

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

"We've got a whole mess of penalties"  -- Cornell PA Announcer
   Arthur Mintz, after the Cornell-Union brawl 1998 December 4