From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:55:47 -0700
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Steven Bartley wrote:

> last I looked, Billy Muckalt was leading all rookies in scoring.  He stayed
> for his junior and senior years in college, won a national championship, and
> got $250,000 more in signing bonus by staying and producing.  In 10 years, I
> can only think of 4 students who have left the Michigan hockey program to try
> their hand in the pros.  Coach Berenson is VERY BIG on students finishing
> their college educations and will only go after young men who also want a good
> 4 year college education.

The list has over the years brought up the topic of the necessity (or lack
of it) of players staying in school, but I need to reply for those who may
be new.  Given the size of salaries in the NHL a reasonable argument can
be made that a player is foolish to turn down a big signing bonus and
salary, assuming the player has the smarts to bank some of that to pay a
future tuition if the pro career does not pan (or even if it does.)  The
brutal truth is that, at least at the top schools, the best players are
training to play pro hockey, not to become dentists.  At BU Parker has
given advice to players both to leave and to stay in school, depending on
the individual circumstances involved.  This issue is not quite so black
and white as some would like to make it.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]