From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:13:14 EST
On Wed, Jan 9, 1999 at 8:54:37 PM Andrew Christianson wrote:

>this is only two bad years in a row....

Defections to the pros certainly put a dent in Minnesota's ability to be
competitive for the past two seasons. Boston University's slump this year is a
comparable situation.

>I guess my biggest complaint about Woog lies in the playing time some young
players receive....

This was certainly not the case with Spehar.

>captain Wyatt Smith and the seniors are disgusting....
>Mike Anderson has been a huge disappointment ...

Upperclassmen, Anderson and Smith have had two really different college
experiences. Smith had a stellar career up till this year. He had plenty of
ice time and was always on Woog's top lines. Anderson came from the
Bloomington Jefferson powerhouse and landed up getting almost no ice time his
first year. Subsequent years, in particular his sophmore season his playing
time was minimal. Evidently he and coach did not see eye to eye, and Anderson
was continually on a possible defection list his soph and junior year.

Last season when Minnesota played Maine in the season opener, in print they
admonished themselves for their poor showing. They were probably overrated
back then. It's interesting to note that despite Maine's huge defection list
the past several years, last year they managed to climb to the top of the heap
without cream of the crop recruits! Maine stayed competitive. I believe this
is a testament to the excellent recruiting of Grant Standbrook, and a great
hockey program. To continue to be competitive despite huge player losses is a
quite a feat, and to stay upbeat particularly in view of the barrage of anti-
Maine sentiment is more incredible. This is a commendation to the PLAYERS
themselves.

>Minnesota's Mr. Hockey was accomplished before he got here.

This is a telling statement. First year players have to make an adjustment,
but in Minnesota's case we hear about these kinds of stories all too
frequently. Even, Rasmussen, who certainly was accomplished before stepping on
Mariucci ice couldn't adjust to what Woog wanted him to do.

>John Poll, Mr. Hockey last year and the state's leading scorer..

I don't want to diminish in any way John's accomplishment. But, he played his
entire season in Red Wing, MN and high level competition was not something he
experienced often. This is where Minnesota needs to revamp their amatuer
system to compete with quality opposition. Not just in state. Players like
Pederson and Clymer played the first part of their senior high school seasons
on junior A teams. Of course this is the great Minnesota hockey debate.

Happy New Year to all....

Vicki Price
violentcontact.net
http://www.violentcontact.net