From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:24:19 -0700
HI All:

Unfortunately I deleted the email with the reference, but there was some
discussion about whether the recent out of conference success of the ECAC
meant a stronger-than-previously-believed conference or just a bunch of
mediocre teams with a few hot hands over Christmas.

Well, as  a physicist who believes in doing the experiment, as most of you
know, I have been advocating larger interconference play (let's not beat
that dead horse) ... but what we got is what we got, as someone famous once
said.  The experimental results are in, the ECAC played well and at least
held their own against the other conferences. That is it. Until another
experiment is performed (next major interconf clashes are the NCAAs), we
just have to believe that overall all the leagues are bout the same
strength. (within experimental uncertainty that is :-)

Of course if there was more data we might have an argument :-)

Tony Buffa
RPI '64 Univ of Illinois '66 and '69