From:
Chris Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:01:40 EST
In a message dated 12/17/1998 5:07:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Forgive my scepticism, but I've been a fan of college hockey for just under
 three decades.
 I'll grant you that clanging a post is a bad luck thing often a millimeter
 different from a goal,
 but I can't recall any game in which I remember more than a few of these by
 one team.
 From that experience I conclude that most of these extra scoring chances
 ended in missed
 shots - not the proof of a more skilled team, but rather a sign of an
 impatient (probably
 young?) team trying to force it instead of working to develop a play.  >>

I was broadcasting this series, and that's the way I saw it as well. I counted
one pipe where the RIT goaltender was clearly beaten. Other than that, there
was a crossbar and another post hit where it was hard to say how good the
scoring chance was in the first place. If those had happened to go in, would
those have been "skill" or "luck"? It's pointless to debate.

UNO had plenty of other chances, and at least 5-6 open nets, but, as you say,
they were either rushing or trying to be too precise. One clanged off the post
(see above), and the others went wide or over the crossbar.

But credit Jamie Morris, the RIT goaltender who made 88 saves on the weekend.
Some of them were outstanding, and that contributed to the missed
opportunities, I think. UNO was psyched out.

<< > I personally think one isolated fight after a late hit or a cheap shot or
 > something could spark them. Maybe it doesn't hafta be a fight, but I don't
 > think UNO should let someone run around on our home ice wrecking havoc and
 > not making him pay somehow, and since the refs weren't penalizing him, ...

 I'll probably be one of many on this list to take issue with you.  If you
 like fights instead
 or hockey, go follow the pros.  Personally I think nothing is more
 ridiculous than guys
 in hockey gear struggling around like dancing bears instead of displaying
 some hockey skills.
 I think most on this list will agree that tight rules against fighting with
 solid suspensions are
 a great safeguard to make sure that Our Game doesn't degenerate into NHL
 farm teams. >>

I think some perspective is needed here. The kind of stuff that Ben is upset
about pales in comparision to real cheap shots that are given to deliberately
injure an opponent. There was none of that by either team in this series.
There was the typical amount of trash talking, hitting after the whistle, etc.
No fights, and no need for a fight. I talked to Jon Day, the imfamous #24 from
Ben's posts, and we was both shocked and amused that someone would want to
"go" over the stuff he and a few other players on both sides were up to. Day
is an agitator, a talker, a stick holder, you know the type. Every team has at
least one. Home fans love him, and he always makes a few "friends" in enemy
barns. It's hockey.

Chris Lerch
US College Hockey Magazine
US College Hockey Online -- www.uscollegehockey.com