From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:10:03 -0600
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Paul Gentile wrote:

> What is wrong with a top-20? If the original post was that silly and foolish
> then you should easily be able to answer this question.

From my point of view, it would be numbers. A Top 20 would list roughly
40% of the Division I schools. That is out of whack. Compare this with
football, whose Top 25 polls list just under 25% of the possible teams,
and basketball, which would rank less than 10%.

I think you dilute the "importance" of a poll (where are those ceramic
dalmatians anyways?) if you list too many teams for it to be truly a
ranking of the top teams. If it becomes simply a listing of anybody who
is decent, it becomes irrelevant.

If I were to expand the hockey polls, I would go to 15. Given that the
NC$$ Tournament is twelve teams, a Top-15 gives you the likely tournament
teams, and some bubble teams. That said, one could argue that that
happens already, with the "Others receiving votes" category.

See you later,
John

--
 John Edwards - Carleton (Ont) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
John's Scoreboard '98 - Manitoba & Carleton 248 - Next: Manitoba vs Dalhousie