From:
tom Dubay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:52:25 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/98 11:34:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<I've got a newsflash for you.  I was born and raised in Hartford and I can
 tell you that few people in Hartford give a damn about hockey period.
 Now, UConn basketball, that's another thing. >>

I think you have gone overboard a bit in your comments about "people in
Hartford not giving a damn about hockey period".  I was born, raised, and
still live in the Hartford area and extend these thoughts about hockey in the
Hartford area.  Yes, UCONN hoops are the number one attention grabber in the
entire state of Connecticut, but hockey has a very large following.  Yes, even
though the Whalers were moved out of town (not the fault of the fans, but the
fault of lousy teams), there still is a large grass roots on up interest in
hockey.  Go to any rink around the area and you will find this evidenced.  For
a first year AHL team, the Wolf Pack drew over 7,000 per game (more than the
'Canes, whoopie!).  While the metro Hartford area is only about 1 million
people, there still is a very tight knit group of fans of hockey.  Perhaps you
have not heard of the proposed sportsplex that would include a 6 rink facility
to house an international hockey academy in South Windsor, CT....

I hope that you are not basing your comment on the fact that the Whalers left
town.  Would we characterize Quebec City, the Twin Cities, Winnipeg, possible
Edmonton as not interested in hockey because they lost or could lose their
teams?....  Best regards.