From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:23:07 EDT
I'm as guilty as the next girl (guy) for pointing a finger at their 345 page
rule book and growing—and seemingly endless procedural boondoggling! Which one
of us can say we're into anything that smacks bureaucracy! But, when I began
to look
into how injuries are assessed and how rules are mandated to remedy specific
and frequent injuries, I gained an enormous respect for the "process" that is
involved.

I also learned that the NCAA never acts alone. Their decisions and
recommendations are always affected and often initiated by the educational
institutions which they are affiliated with. With thorough investigation, by
means of lengthy studies and countless meetings, a basis for injury assessment
is compiled. Because, injury statistics have to be gathered by a scientific
system in order to discern what viable solutions there are. This is serious
business; it affects the lives and health of thousands of men and women who
play sports.

One of the NCAA's prime functions is to ensure player safety, not a very
talked about message board topic. Attendance is off season message board
prattle; player safety is a pertinent and serious off, or on season topic at
the NCAA, and I'm not panning that. Injury collection data, and the "process"
could extend the career of your son, or your favorite player. Before you pan
that, try doing some serious prattle over it!

Victoria Price
violentcontact.net