From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:54:04 -0500
Brian writes:

> Here is my plan for WCHA Realignment.  I have given careful consideration
> to all factors and have come up with a plan that I feel would work best
> considering the circumstances.  Here it is:
>
> WCHA (8 teams)         CCHA (10 teams)        New Western Conference (NWC)
>
> North Dakota           Michigan               Neb-Omaha
> Minnesota              Michigan State         Mankato State
> Wisconsin              Ferris State           Bemidji State
> St. Cloud              Western Michigan       Alaska-Anchorage
> Michigan Tech          Northern Michigan      Alaska-Fairbanks
> Denver                 Ohio State             Air Force (?)
> Colorado College       Lake Superior State    Other Emerging Programs (?)
> Minn-Duluth            Bowling Green
>                        Notre Dame
>                        Miami (OH)
>
> This would require some major cooperation between the WCHA, CCHA,
> Independent Schools, NCAA, and the schools being asked to move.

Well, nobody is going to argue that point!  :)

> Any other comments?

Logically, Northern Michigan should be in the WCHA, but that's not where
they want to be.

The biggest problem I see is that the further West you go, the more travel
is a problem.  Schools back East have it relatively easy - shorter distances
and lots of schools.  By the time you hit the WCHA, travel is a serious
problem.  The two Alaska schools have it worst, of course.  This
reorganization scheme simply continues that situation.  [not that I have a
solution to offer, you understand]

A second problem is that the NWC would be loaded with (PLEASE - No Offense
Intended) 2nd tier programs and new programs.  It might be more competitive
internally, but I don't think any of these schools want to be in what others
would perceive to be a watered down conference.

Unfortunately, the teams don't line up nicely in terms of geography.
Clearly, the two Alaska schools belong in the same conference, and if a NWC
is formed, they just as clearly belong there.  So lets expand the WCHA into
two divisions.  Listed in no particular order...

NCWCHA (North Central ...)              WWCHA (West ....)

Wis                                     Alaska - A
Minn                                    Alaska - F
St. Cloud                               Colorado College
Mich Tech                               Denver
Duluth                                  Neb Omaha
Mankato                         North Dakota
Bemidji                                 Air Force

playing an interlocking schedule that allows double home/home series with
geographic close rivals and annual 2 home/ next year 2 away games with
distant rivals, plus some 3rd games and/or extraconference play.  7 teams is
awkward, but being awkward never stopped a conference before.  :)

Of course, we are also hoping for West Coast expansion, so maybe something
like this would be seen as an interim reordering.

Tom Rowe                                          [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners Up 92 & 98