From:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emmitt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:17:09 -0500
On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Brian D Helland wrote:

I'm not sure how the Alaska schools would like this, but it would open up
some non-conference games.  If the WCHA and CCHA kept there current
schedules (4 and 3 games vs. an opponent) it would allow 6 NC games for
WCHA and 7 for CCHA.  Since the NWC teams would play 4 games in Alaska
they would have a lot of room for nonconference games.  I'd like to see
the NCAA raise the limit to 36 games from 34.

In terms of postseason, the NWC could serve as a WCHA alliance until they
get a tourney berth.  The NWC could qualify two teams into the WCHA
playoffs to get five first round matchups.  Or, the WCHA could play out
four first round series and add the NWC Champ as the No. 5 at the Final
Five.  This would need to happen since the WCHA seems pretty set on
maintaining the Final Five.

Such a setup would give the emerging programs a chance to build up to the
established leagues.  But don't count on it any time soon.

Vindy