From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:48:58 -0500
This is a hot topic right now on USCHO.  The question is, should the WCHA
allow Mankato State and Neb-Omaha to join?  Or should the league accept
only one of the teams?  Or should the league accept none of the teams and
allow the formation of a new Western Hockey Conference?

Here is my plan for WCHA Realignment.  I have given careful consideration
to all factors and have come up with a plan that I feel would work best
considering the circumstances.  Here it is:
WCHA (8 teams)         CCHA (10 teams)        New Western Conference (NWC)

North Dakota           Michigan               Neb-Omaha
Minnesota              Michigan State         Mankato State
Wisconsin              Ferris State           Bemidji State
St. Cloud              Western Michigan       Alaska-Anchorage
Michigan Tech          Northern Michigan      Alaska-Fairbanks
Denver                 Ohio State             Air Force (?)
Colorado College       Lake Superior State    Other Emerging Programs (?)
Minn-Duluth            Bowling Green
                       Notre Dame
                       Miami (OH)

A few comments:

* 8-team WCHA would allow each team to play each other team 4 times in a
season (7 x 4= 28), while still allowing a non-conference schedule.

* Moving UAF from the CCHA makes sense from a geographical standpoint.
UAA moving from the WCHA would give them a fresh start in a new conference
(they haven't had much success in the WCHA).

* Having UAF and UAA in the same conference would help maintain their
rivalry.  Also, I believe that the Alaska schools should be as far west as
possible.

* The CCHA would have an even number of teams (10), making scheduling
easier.  It would also give them more playoff format options.

* The New Conference would give emerging programs out west a place to play
once they've made the move up.

* Air Force is the wild card in this plan.  Would they be interested in
joining a conference?

* The members of the new conference would have plenty of scheduling room
for a solid non-conference schedule.

This would require some major cooperation between the WCHA, CCHA,
Independent Schools, NCAA, and the schools being asked to move.  But I
think that this plan has tremendous growth potential and would benefit all
of the schools involved.  Any other comments?

Brian.
(Hoping for an solution to this mess!)