From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 00:29:40 -0400
More on Bubba -
Is there a NC$$ championship game boxscore available that gives minutes of
ice time for each player ?  If so, post to the list or send e-mail
privately.

What I want to see are two things about Berenzweig in the final:  was he
on-ice for more than 25 minutes, and was he on-ice more than any other
player (except the goalies !).  As one who goes to the Bruins, and sees the
mega-minutes Ray Bourque still logs at age 35+ (he is on for the start of
every special team situation), Bubba's minutes reminded me of that.  Bubba
is built a lot like Bourque, also.

Could we end bashing ESPN about his name, considering that his dad posted
to the list stating it was not a problem !

Somewhat on a related note.  It seemed there were fewer TV timeouts during
the overtime.   It is an open issue as to which team was the more tired as
the game wore on.  I heard from people taking both sides of that argument.
But, with few long breaks in the action during the extra frame, the benches
got longer, and the shifts shorter.  I think the fewer TV timeouts in the
4th period favored BC, but they failed to take advantage of the situation.

The bottom line -- Michigan had too many seniors for whom this game was it;
last time to get a title, and use their experience.  On the other hand, for
BC, their inexperience is both a blessing and a curse.  Curse for the final
game this year; a blessing that, as coach York said tonite on Boston TV,
his "core" is coming back next year.  Watch out, Hockey East.  I think
Maine will have to try to win the regular season bid to get in the Round of
12...

Here is a note sent to the Fleet Center management on behalf of all you
still in line from Saturday night --

>re: concessions
>
>I am a 10-year Bruins season ticket holder and also attended the
>Hockey Final Four.  My seats were in the balcony both for the college
>games, but also I am in Sec. 314 for the Bruins.
>
>The college games were a sellout and, yet, not all the food stands were
>open.  Why not ?  It led to long lines and less selection of goods for
>sale. Certainly with no alcohol for sale, those sellers could have
been used otherwise to sell other items instead.

Success in Dealing with Adversity Department --

This weekend certainly validated the good fortune two pairs of hockey teams
have had in NOT getting their "first choice" to coach -- to wit...

Boston College and New York Islanders
Mike Milbury declines the head coach job to return to the pro ranks on the
Island.  Jerry York, faithful alumnus, returns to take over the program and
in a short while leads them to the NCAA finals.
The Islanders may be one year away from contending in the playoffs, and
they are the surging New York team, not the Raynguhhhs (only two points
difference as of tonite).  And they dumped the goofy fisherman logo, had a
swap nite, and donated the old logo items to the Red Cross chapter in
fishing city of Gloucester, MA.  Class act.

Boston University and Boston Bruins
Jack Parker interviews with B's GM Harry $inden for vacant head coaching
job vacated by fired Steve "on-the-job-training" Kasper.  Wavers for a few
days, then declines job.  Supposedly in return given huge financial package
to stay on Comm. Ave., and promise to construct a mega-rink to replace
venerable Walter Brown Arena.  Leads team to HE regular season crown and #1
poll ranks.
Meanwhile, back at the house Walter Brown did NOT build, idled former Maple
Leafs and Canadiens head coach Pat Burns is tabbed as second choice.
Bruins
now in fifth place in the round of eight in the East, and will make
playoffs after having worst record in NHL last season.  Probably most
improved team in NHL this year, and imagine if Joe Thornton could really
play ?

Something about chicken soup also comes to mind, but could either of the
college teams have done any better, and what about the NHL (yes, I'm on the
Bruins list, too, so will post this there).  Confine responses to college
teams, in respect to list administration.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Beers may now be in the booth, but Jean-Yves Roy ***
***    should be kept with the big club in Boston     ***
***   Is there anyone better now with Providence ??  ***

 And when will Rutgers become a "real" school and start
            a Div. 1 college hockey program ?