From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 01:18:52 -0400
> ... watching Marlins-Brewers isn't cutting it for me right now

Phil Garner would have made a *great* hockey player, though... ;-)

The TBRW? predictions won't be out until October (we tied the ECAC coaches
poll this last time, I think the first time in five years we didn't beat
it), but here are my likewise off the cuff spontaneous comments on the
ECAC.  Number in parens is my prediction -- by the gut, not the head.

> ECAC order of standing for next year...
>
> 1. Clarkson

Only if they find a goalie in a hurry.  Given their proclivites for heading
to the box, I think they'll continue to come up short of the RS title.  (2)

> 2. Harvard

They're back, and they're more boring than ever.   There was a younger team
than Cornell last year -- this one -- and they showed something down the
stretch.  But the dump and change cuts GF as well as GA, and enough middle
teams will catch the Crimson in 2-2, 2-1 games that even a sweep of the
contenders won't give them the RS title.  (3)

> 3. Princeton

Erasmo was good but not great.  Masters was great, but Halpern's still
there.  They'll hit at least one rough patch, probably early, but come
playoff time I'd be on my guard again....  (6)

> 4. Cornell

Surprisingly thin team which injuries decimated -- but, unless there is
enough of a recruiting class to bulk up the fourth line and third pair, and
a back-up goalie, I don't see a huge RS improvement.    Of course, this
year *is* the chance at great recruiting, since spots are quite available
(order now), and because they aren't scrambling to fill any particular need
the way they have the past two off seasons.  Back to home ice and lookie
who we host -- oh joy. (5)

> 5. St. Lawrence

Was the last weekend run a fluke?  Yep.  (9)

> 6. Yale

OK, they lost a ton of offensive talent, and except for Westlund I might
pick them to plummet to the bottom of the league.  But I hafta give these
guys one more year of home ice -- a solid goalie is worth a lot in a 3-2
league.  Westlund will make the difference in enough games to bring home
home ice one more time.  Apres lui, la deluge...  (4)

> 7. Colgate

Why aren't these guys any better?  They sure looked good early in the
season...  (8)

> 8. Brown

Grillo has something going, and I think Brown is on the way up again.  (7)

> 9. Vermont

Careful with those coconuts little buddy.  One day after the season ends
UVM fans finally get their wish... (11)

> 10. RPI

Adam's smoking crack for picking them 10th.  I'm just as bad for believing
their goaltending will make them the 1999 version of Yale.  (1)

> 11. Dartmouth

Ugly way to bow out of the playoff picture.  I now officially subscribe to
the Cursed for All Eternity theory.  (12)

> 12. Union

They'll beat Cornell at least once, though.  Hell, make it twice... (10)