From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 03:07:24 -0500
I couldn't resist.

Announcing the Division I Hockey NIT Tournament.  Selection criteria: rank
teams by RPI and then take the best squads not invited to the NCAA
Tournament.

The lists are of the field for an 8 team tournament, and then groups of 4
successivesly added for a 12 or 16 team field.  The number to the left of
the school is its RPI rank (note that Princeton, at 16th, is the only
school not in the top 12 RPI invited to the NCAA).

8 team:

12  St Cloud
13  Northern Michigan
14  Maine
15  Northeastern
17  Miami
18  Minnesota-Duluth
19  Notre Dame
20  Harvard

12 team:

21  Minnesota
22  Mass Lowell
23  Rensselaer
24  Lake Superior

16 team:

25  Providence
26  Brown
27  Ferris State
28  Cornell

Personally, I think an 8 team tourny would be fun.  Hold the QF at campus
sites and go to the highest surviving seed for the final four, split up the
gate for everybody's costs, and give the rest to charity.  Give the TV
rights away for free.  Good for the game and good for college athletics'
soul.