From:
Glenn Auerbach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Auerbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 11:33:31 +0000
I wouldn't think that the college game is strong enough to
support off-campus sites for a 16 team tounament.  I don't
know enough about the east region which is more highly
concentrated location-wise.  In the west, I would say the
off-campus sites have been a failure with 6 teams.
Reducing the field to 3 teams would only make it worse.

1992 - Joe Louis was 75% empty to see the first attempt at
the regional format.

1993 - same place, same empty building.  Absolutely
terrible hockey atmosphere.

1994 - moved to MSU campus -- better even though the team I
support (Michigan) was in a very hostile atmosphere.
 Nothing wrong with a hostile atmosphere - much better than
no atmosphere.  Interestingly, the second game of the
second day was viewed by very few people even though it was
a great game between two excellent teams.  I think
Minnesota and Lowell played almost two full overtimes - a
shame so few people got to see it.

1995 - Wisconsin "campus" - again much better - again a
hostile atmosphere - still much rather watch a game in a
hostile environment than watch a game in a 1/2-empty
building.

1996 - back to MSU - don't even think it was a sellout with
MSU playing in their own building and Michigan there as
well - tickets were being sold for $5 outside the arena.

1997 - Grand Rapids - worked fairly well despite a 10000+
seat facility - don't remember if it was a sellout or not

1998 - Univ Michigan campus - last I heard, there were
still several hundred unsold tickets for the games even
though Michigan is playing in its home building and
Michigan State is there as well.

If people won't support the games off-campus, I'd rather
see them moved back to the campus sites, even with today's
12-team format.

Just my opinion.  Feel free to correct any incorrect facts
which were recalled from my increasingly-questionable
memory.

Glenn Auerbach

From:          Michael McClellan <[log in to unmask]>

would be much more suitable for 3 teams, fans, and media.  Plus there would
be no "home ice advantage" either.  They play the NCAA basketball tourneys
in neutral locations.  Why not do it with hockey? :)
        Just my 2 cents worth.

Michael "Go Tigers" McClellan
Network Administrator * Fischer & Company Real Estate
[log in to unmask] * [log in to unmask]
"Gimme a C" * "Gimme another C" * "What's that spell?" * "CC"