From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:07:00 -0600
Right now it's 3:33 a.m. Central Time and it's about time I champion the
Princeton hockey program.

For four years I have tried to stay as objective as possible, even when
defending Princeton or the ECAC, etc...

But you don't spend four years of your life pouring your heart into
something like I did with Princeton and not feel a need to declare your
pride to the entire world (or at least the part of it reading this).

CONGRATULATIONS PRINCETON TIGERS!!!!!!!

(Warning ... this is highly personal ... delete now if you don't care).

I cannot tell you how good I feel right now - as a fan, yes -- but also
for all the great people I said goodbye to last year.

I thought I felt good when Princeton defeated No. 1 Maine in the Dexter
Shoe Classic in 1994.
I thought I felt good when in that same year, Matt Brush scored in
double OT to defeat Brown and send Princeton to Lake Placid for the
first time.
I thought I felt good last year when Princeton made it back to Lake
Placid with a tremendous three-game series win at Vermont.
And I thought I felt good the other day when Princeton beat Yale to make
the final again.

Now I feel really good.

The only negative, of course ... I am not there to share in the glory.

I always wanted to be a full-time broadcaster, and I'm not complaining
... but it hurt today when I was on a bus travelling to Madison for our
game last night while Princeton was playing in the championship game. I
set my tape machine for 5 hours, and left for the game --- good thing!

The whole ride up I was sending positive vibes to Lake Placid. The whole
way back I couldn't stop thinking about rushing home to watch the tape.
I fast-forwarded to the end of the first period -- 2-1 Clarkson ... I
couldn't bear to watch them lose, so I fast-forwarded some more, and saw
Jeff Halpern's penalty shot goal.  Then I watched, and it became 4-2,
and 4-3 and 4-4.

In overtime, I just could not bear to watch when Clarkson had the
puck -- so I fast-forwarded those parts, and stopped when Princeton had
a rush.  Then the goal.

I am not afraid to say there were tears of joy.

No one talks about Princeton on Hockey-L ... It's not a hockey factory,
they don't have minions of fans, they don't have a winning tradition.

What it does have, though, is a LONG tradition. And it is a great
school, with great people.

I can't help but feel overwhelming joy, pride, excitement for all the
people who made my time there fun and rewarding.

For Syl Apps, a great kid, with great bloodlines and one of the smartest
hockey players in the nation ... congrats on the game-winning goal.

For Jeff Halpern ... we could see his devlopment last year, but no one
expected the true greatness he has exemplified. I'll never forget him
passing out on the team bus while coming back from Brown after a Tuesday
prelim loss in his freshman year. If he's not an All-American, it's a
crime. I am so happy for him, and his wonderful family, who treated me
incredibly well in my two years with them. It was good to see on TV that
the hair is still the same.

For Erasmo Saltarelli, an unorthodox goalie for sure .... but he's
totally unflappable, and the more pressure the better. His enthusiasm
for the game is unmatched.

For Don Cahoon, Len Quesnelle, Mark Denehy and Craig Fiander ... an
excellent coaching staff that works its tail off to bring quality
players into a place that's very tough to win, and get the most out of
those players ... and do it with class.

For Geoff Howell ... who started Princeton hockey on radio 10 years ago,
and who gave me a chance to take his place ... who bleeds orange more
than anyone -- and who had to live through the Jim Higgins era.

For the other people involved who also cared so much ... Trenton Times
writer Len Bardsley (who has been with Princeton hockey all these others
when his colleagues were out covering hoops), Kurt Kehl, Mike Jackman,
Jonathan Zissman, Jason Patton, Tony Piscotta and who knows who I'm
forgetting. I hope you're still partying hearty at Mudpuddles tonight.
I want you to save me a beer and a hot dog from that vendor outside. And
Dave Rosenfeld and Chuck Sullivan, hockey SIDs who shared the previous
close calls.

For the parents who I got to know, either at the rink or through e-mail
... I used to update the Canadian parents on what was going on ... but
now they update me, and we share the anxiety about not being able to see
the games ... Julio Acosta, Mr. and Mrs. Saltarelli, Mr. and Mrs.
Hegland, Barry Given, Sue Bertoli, John Yopyk, Craig Brush, Nick
Sinclair.

And finally -- for all those who were there before and probably wish
they were there like me ... like the class of '95 who started the
winning ways -- like Ian Sharp and Ethan Early ... and guys like Jon
Kelley and Jason Smith and Jim Konte ... and J.P. O'Connor and Sean
O'Brien, both playing in the AHL.

Admittedly, I am a bit sad over not being able to be there .... but
mostly, I am overwhelmed with happiness for everyone.

Fans of other programs may sit back and laugh, and be amused at how
excited I can get about anything short of a national championship. But
that's OK. All I know is, when you see the commitment put in by the
coaches and players at one of the top academic institutions in the
country ... how they pour their guts out like a coach or player at
Michigan or Minnesota, but go in most years knowing they fall short ....
to see the culmination of all of that is just wonderful.

Sure there are bigger hills to climb ... we can get greedy and hope for
some NCAA wins. But no matter what nothing will take away from this
special moment.

For everyone involved, but especially for the players, coaches and
parents ...

  C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S   P R I N C E T O N
1 9 9 8   E C A C   T O U R N A M E N T   C H A M P I O N S ! !