From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:26:11 -0600
>Okay, try this on for size:
>Between 1997 and 1987 (choose your own years)
>the WCHA had 12 teams in the final four, and 4 NCAA champions
>the CCHA had 12 teams in the final four, and 4 NCAA champions
>Hockey East had 13 teams in the final four, and 2 NCAA champions
>and the ECAC had 7 teams in the final four, and 1 NCAA champion.
>
>Gut feelings aside, is that weak enough for anyone willing to claim the
>ECAC is equal to the other three? Does 25% of the leagues, and even a
>larger percentage of total teams, and less than 10% of the NCAA titles
>mean anything?
>Superiority is proven on the ice, and both the WCHA and CCHA have
>results on their side.

HERE WE GO AGAIN....

It's so wonderful to misinterpret statements to one's own benefit.

The original discussion was whether the bottom of the ECAC was brutal,
and thus Yale and Clarkson were beating up on weaker teams.

I countered by saying that the ECAC may be the most well-balanced
conference --- no overly dominant teams up top --- but with the bottom
teams actually more competitive -- especially when cutting it off at the
10th team.

NEVER - ever - never - ever -- did I say the ECAC was stronger or
equal - as a whole - to the other conferences ...  That may be an
argument that someone else made, but shouldn't.

I use this line often, and I'll repeat it ...

The ECAC may be the "weakest" of the 4 conferences ... but while the
perception is that - on a scale of 1-100, the other conferences are
around 60, and the ECAC is 40 .... the truth is, the other conferences
are around 53, and the ECAC is 49.

It's not nearly as weak as it's perceived to be in the west .... but I
would never suggest it's stronger - as a whole - than the others.  It is
incredibly competitive, however, which makes things very fun every year.
The playoff picture is never determined until the final day -- it's
never even close.

And - I will say this -- between 1984 and 1991 - the ECAC had at least
one team in the final four every year, had two champions, and 2
runners-up ... This was right after the HEA split ...

It's only since 1992 that the ECAC hasn't had 25% representation at the
Final Four (they've had 2 in 7 years, I think it is).

I have many theories on this .... but not now.

AW