From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:39:38 -0600
First, a comment.  Boy, am I glad I chose "hooey" as the subject line
for this thread.  :-)

Greg R. Berge writes:

> Of course, especially since the seeding of teams has until recently been
> highly subjective, and the ECAC frequently was given poor seeds for the
> same reason many will always assume it is not the equal of the other
> leagues (even when as with last year's comparison of records with HE, the
> actual data contradicts the errant bias) -- it will likely always suffer
> from a perception of being a weaker league due to superior academics.  Just
> one example: anyone who watched the crowd reaction to the Harvard national
> title in '89 can attest that some less knowledgeable western fans fell into
> this perception and were ready to laugh Harvard out of the rink.  After
> all, they were nerds, right?

I was there, yet I don't remember that crowd reaction at all.  Yes, the
crowd was heavily biased in favor of Minnesota.  The game was played,
after all, in St. Paul.  I'm sure there were some morons who were
unaware of the strength of Harvard's team that season.  After all,
morons can be found in any hockey crowd, anywhere.  I do not believe
that perceptions of the schools' academic merits were a factor.

-- Erik