From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:23:19 -0700
Luiz:

#     #
##   ##    ##    #####   #    #  ######  #        ####   #    #   ####
# # # #   #  #   #    #  #    #  #       #       #    #  #    #  #
#  #  #  #    #  #    #  #    #  #####   #       #    #  #    #   ####
#     #  ######  #####   #    #  #       #       #    #  #    #       #
#     #  #    #  #   #    #  #   #       #       #    #  #    #  #    #
#     #  #    #  #    #    ##    ######  ######   ####    ####    ####

 #####
#     #     #    #    #  #####   #        #   #
#           #    ##  ##  #    #  #         # #
 #####      #    # ## #  #    #  #          #
      #     #    #    #  #####   #          #
#     #     #    #    #  #       #          #
 #####      #    #    #  #       ######     #

#     #
##   ##    ##    #####   #    #  ######  #        ####   #    #   ####
# # # #   #  #   #    #  #    #  #       #       #    #  #    #  #
#  #  #  #    #  #    #  #    #  #####   #       #    #  #    #   ####
#     #  ######  #####   #    #  #       #       #    #  #    #       #
#     #  #    #  #   #    #  #   #       #       #    #  #    #  #    #
#     #  #    #  #    #    ##    ######  ######   ####    ####    ####

i'll even forgive you the embedded HTML marking.  This ranks with the
emily litella posts.  This is why we CAN'T let hockey-l go away.

and to think i didn't quite have the nerve to post a flip comment to the
ECAC pairings post saying, "uh oh, here comes the fight between adam and
luiz again!"  sigh.

i'm not quite speechless, and only have to say, in the words of gene
(chief yukster) spafford...
        "some people have too much time on their hands"

thanks for making my week
cdash

> Date:         Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:01:16 -0400
> From: "Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Brown-Princeton Series Canceled; Princeton Automatically Advances

> CANCELED: PRINCETON AUTOMATICALLY ADVANCES TO LAKE PLACID
>

> Centerville, Massachusetts.
>
> Confronted with the near-unanimous predictions by Hockey-L and USCHO
> prognosticators for the upcoming playoffs, ECAC Hockey Commissioner
> Jeff Fanter made the unprecedented decision to cancel the
> Brown-Princeton Quarterfinal series this weekend, and ruled that
> Princeton would automatically advance to the Final Five in Lake Placid
> next week. "Playing these games would have been a waste of time. As far
> as I'm concerned, the experts have it. This is the computer age."
>

> Reaction to Fanter's controversial decision was swift.
>

> Brown Captain Damian Prescott waxed philosophical. "Jeff's decision was
> unfair, and what not. Our guys were really up for this series, and what
> not. Roger Grillo is a great coach, and what not. I guess I'll play
> lacrosse. We look forward to next year. Thank you."
>

> Reached in his Cambridge office, Harvard superfan Richard Hungerford
> doffed his plaid cap, and proclaimed: "It's Ronn Tomassoni's fault. If
> Bill Cleary were still coaching at Harvard, this would never have
> happened."
>

> USCHO writer Jason Moy commented: "All I'll say is that I'm confident
> that the Engineers will prevail over Cornell. If they don't, as any RPI
> fan worth the name I'll complain about the referees, call the players
> bums and blame Dan Fridgen. I'll make no other predictions at this
> time."
>

> Brown Coach Roger Grillo was both upset and relieved. "I'm a
> competitive guy, and I hate to lose, so I was really looking forward to
> this series. The upside is that people will stop bothering me with
> requests for complimentary tickets."
>

> Princeton coach Don 'Toots' Cahoon was elated: "Now I'm a step closer
> to the job I really want. When is Jack Parker retiring?"
>

> Former Brown player Marty Clapton'97 stated: "I hate Princeton. Those
> guys are totally unskilled. They play clutch-and-grab hockey."
>

> Apprised of Clapton's comments, Adam Wodon was furious: "HOW MANY TIMES
> WILL I HAVE TO SAY THAT PRINCETON DOES *NOT* PLAY CLUTCH-AND-GRAB
> HOCKEY?!"
>

> Geoff Howell concurred: "The Princeton players just finish their
> checks. Cahoon is a class act. The only bad thing about the series
> cancellation is that I'll have to wait yet another year to have dinner
> at Al Forno's with Luiz Valente. Incidentally, it's not true that I'm a
> Princeton fan."
>

> Former ECAC current Hockey East Hockey Commissioner Joe Bertagna was
> incensed. "This is blatantly unfair. Now Princeton will be rested for
> their game against Harvard next Thursday." Informed that Harvard would
> still have to defeat Colgate in order to advance to Lake Placid,
> [...]

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash