From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:54:00 EST
Eric Carlson asked about Krikor Arman, Michigan's
latest "phenom."  Michelle Perry gave a nice response
which included:
>Krikor Arman is a sophomore who played his first game
>for Michigan last night at Notre Dame.  He has practiced
>regulary with the team since the beginning of last year.
>He claimed Craig Assenmacher's roster spot when Craig
>left the team a few months ago.

Correct, other than I wouldn't say that Arman claimed
Assenmacher's roster spot.  To my knowledge, there is
no finite limit to roster positions.

Assenmacher walked-on to the 1996-97 squad, but did
not see game action.  He played in two games last season
and did not see game action this season before "retiring"
to concentrate on his academics.  Arman followed a
similar path, walking-on to the team for 1997-98 but not
seeing game action.  He played well in the Blue-White
scrimmage this season, netting a goal, and made his
official debut playing in both games of the home-and-home
series with Notre Dame this past weekend.  Arman was
assigned #20 last year, wore #28 in the B-W scrimmage
and currently dons #32.  He's a good-sized winger from
West Bloomfield.  Arman scored twice in the first period
of Friday's contest and has 2-0--2 in this two career games
played.

As for the games, Michigan swept Notre Dame, 7-2 and
5-4 (OT).  Saturday's contest in Ann Arbor turned out to be
quite a nail-biter.  Michigan held a 4-1 lead after two periods,
when Red Berenson replaced Marty Turco in net with Gregg
Malicke.  (I've often stated that I'm as fond of Malicke as I
am Turco.)  Unfortunately, to the shock of the Yost crowd,
UND responded with an outstanding third period that included
scoring three goals on 15 shots.  Before I make excuses for
Malicke, I'll pass along Coach Berenson's statements from
The Ann Arbor News:

  "It had nothing to do with Malicke.  That was just poor play
  in front of him.  He had to stop a breakaway before they
  scored.  It was breakdowns defensively, and the penalty
  killing was horrendous."

I've witnessed all five goals Malicke has allowed this season
and, frankly, he shouldn't be faulted for any of them.  On the
other hand, folks will look at his stats and conclude that he's
not played very well.  My personal take is that, in what little
action he's seen, Malicke has not given up a bad goal...but
maybe I'm biased.  I think he's been a victim of unfortunate
circumstances.  Four of the five goals against him have been
on the power play...and all have come in the third period when
the opposing team is throwing everything they can at the
Wolverines to get back into the game.

Sidebars aside, Michigan controlled the overtime session
taking all four shots on goal registered with Greg Crozier
netting the gamer to complete his hat trick.

Steve Bartley noted that a new record for one-goal victories
in a season, but I believe this is simply a team record which
was tied.  (UM currently has 10 one-goal victories this year.)

Next up for the Wolverines...LSSU at JLA on Saturday...

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])