From:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 16:54:20 -0500
Since no one has posted a recap to what was a, well, interesting and
strange game - I feel the need to do so.

While I do not normally concentrate on the officiating in a game, I feel
the need to do so here.  The officiating had an enormous impact in this
game at all levels and a game summary would be heavily incomplete without
noting this.

The referee for this game was Hansen, and I had no idea what to expect from
him, as I have not seen him before to my recollection.  The assistant
referees had names, but it isn't important since they are pretty much
spectators in the ECAC doing little more call offsides and drop pucks.
I've seen only 1 penalty call by an assistant referee this year, and it
hasn't been for a lack of things to call.

The game started out well for the Red as they jumped to a 1-0 lead early in
the first on a power play opportunity.  A Dailey slapper was stopped by SLU
goaltender Heffler and banging ensued to his left.  Moynihan managed to
pick up the puck skate behind the net and bounce it in off the diving
goalie.  It looked good for the Red.

The Red were unable to gain much pressure throughut the rest of the period
however, and with about 3 minutes to go, St. Lawrence tied it up.  The Big
Red forecheck was thwarted time after time as the lead forechecker was
taken out by the second defenseman, allowing the first to exit the zone
unharrassed.  In fact, when the forechecker did manage to get aoriund the
net SLU goalie Heffler would routinely (he did this at least 4 times during
the game) stick out his leg and deliberately trip the forechecker.  That
would seem to be interference to me, but I'm just a fan.  Of course these
kinds of obstruction noncalls are what's ruining the NHL game as well, why
should the college game be any different?

SLU took the next lead in the second with a Power Play goal by Allard.
Cornell equalized later in the Period when the one man team, Jason Dailey
got the puck at the point skated accross the slot to his right, and beat
the left handed netminder with a nice wrister.  The Red had achieved a 2-2
tie and were putting on the pressure.  Dailey reapeated his move a few
minutes later, but Heffler came out farther to challenge this time and was
able to make the save.  With Red still maintaining pressure late in the
period a Cornell player was skating accross the slot when he was pulled
down by an SLU players stick.  With Cornell's third man high taken down SLU
broke out on a 3 on 2 rush which they converted to take the 3-2 lead.  The
tripping was consistent with SLU's play, a grab-and-trip style that
basically involved grabbing, and holding onto for dear life any Cornell
skater they could catch or pin near the boards.  The game started to get
pretty ugly here as with all the grabbing tripping and clutching going
uncalled, and some ugly play in front of the nets requiring a heavy
implementation of Schafer's new "Get Near our Goalie, we're going to kick
your ass and hard" policy.  The period ended SLU 3, Cornell 2.

Cornell came out in the third and continued the pressure they applied late
in the second.  This resulted in a scramble to Eric Heffler's left.
Heffler ended up out of position and on the ice past the side of the net,
while the puck moved back towards the center of the crease.  Some SLU
player decided that he would cover the puck in the crease in clear view of
the student side of Lynah.  The whistle eventually blew, a scuffle ensued
(as it did at every near net whistle past the halway point of this game),
and a few players were sent off for rogughing.  The crowd began to chant
"Penalty Shot."  At no time did referee Hansen give the signal for a
penalty shot.  But, when all the penalties were sorted out it was announced
that Cornell had been awarded a Penalty Shot.  The crowd rose to its feat.
They chanted Sieve at the SLU goalie.  Ryan Moynihan went to tkae the shot,
which I now fully understand to be "The most exciting play in hockey."
Moynhian lost control slightly at the blue line, regained and skated moving
from Heffler's right to left and trying to open the five hole.  Heffler
closed up and shot went harmlessly into his bread basket.  SLU jumped off
the bench and Moynihan skated dejectedly away.  Shortly thereafter a
strange bounce to the right of Elliott resulted in 4-2 SLU lead as Allard
beat the Cornell netminder high glove side.

Cornell battled back, and a fantastic play by McNiven resulted in a Frank
Kovac goal.  Oates started the rush bringing the puck across the blueline
to the goalie's right.  He passed to McNiven rushing just past the crease
on the same side.  While tied up by the defenseman McNiven managed to send
a tape to tape pass to Kovac rushing up the slot, where he banged it home.
McNiven was then held against the boards for 20-30 seconds by the SLU
defenseman after the goal.  The defenseman took a punch at him as he skated
away to join the celebration.  5 men lined up for each side for the ensuing
face off.

At some point hereafter, during a play deep in the SLU zone, an SLU player
lost his helmet and proceeded to get into fisticuffs with the Cornell
player nearby.  I did not see how the helmet came off, but play continued
for 10 seconds more before the whistle was blown.  It is my understanding
that failing to skate directly for the bench upon losing your hemet in the
college game is an autromatic penalty.  This was not called.

With 3 and a half minutes to go, a particularly nasty scuffle ocurred in
front of the Cornell net.  As the players moved off to their right punches
were thrown words were exchanged, and a lot of extracurricular activity
occured.  When all was said and done, I looked over to the SLU bench to see
Andy McNiven standing there a lone white shirt in a see of Red SLU jerseys.
What he was doing there, I don't know.  He was moved away by the Refs, adn
the SKATED BACK, had some more words, and as the SLU coaches physically
grabbed to keep their players away from him #44 took a light tap at him.
For his trouble McNiven received an extra 2 minutes and a 10 minute
misconduct.  I don't think either was unjustified.  I'd like to know how he
got there and what he thought he was doing.

Cornell killed the penalty, and rushed to the offensive.  With the Red
putting on pressure, Heffler lifted the left post off to stop play.  At
this point Cornell called time out, pulled Elliott, and put on a little
more pressure. SLU equalled the task and skated off with a 4-3 victory.

It's hard to say you've been beaten by the officials when you get a penalty
shot, but I think I can say that here.  You want to know why scoring is
down - Grab 'em behind the net and hold on for dear life.  It's legal now.
Grab the forechecker - it's ok.  Stick out your leg if your the goalie so
your defenseman can get out of the zone unencumbered.  No problem.  The
interference need s to be called, and beyond that the holding in the zone
and behind the net needs to be too.  I can see pinning a guy to the boards.
But wrapping your arms around him and hauling him to the ice.  Get real.

That's my game summary.

Larry Weintraub