From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:20:07 -0500
On Jan 25, 17:39, Jay Lau wrote:
>[ about Tommi Degerman getting caught with an illegal stick and trying to hide
>  it ]
>
>This sequence raises a couple of questions in my mind:
>
>1. Does Degerman face additional action from Hockey East (ie suspension) or is
>the two minute penalty he received the only punishment he'll get for the
>illegal stick?

I believe getting caught with an illegal stick also carries a ten-minute
misconduct penalty; at least it has every time I've seen/heard it called.  But
the higher-ups generally don't get involved, certainly not to the point of
suspending the guilty player.

>2. Along the same lines as question 1, since Degerman tried to run from the
>ice and hide the illegal stick, does he face league action for his
>unsportsmanlike conduct?

I assume the league can do whatever it wants, but had Degerman succeeded in
hiding his stick, he would not have avoided the penaltyduring the game.
 Something similar happened near the end of the game when Cornell played at
Vermont last year.  One Vermont player was caught with an illegal stick, and
when a second challenge was issued, the second Vermont player broke his stick
before it could be measured.  He was handed a minor for unsportsmanlike conduct
and a ten-minute misconduct, so it didn't make a difference anyway.

>3. If a person has used an illegal stick his whole life and is forced to use a
>legal stick now, how much does that affect his shot, passing and puck
>handling?

Dunno, but there certainly must be some adverse effect, otherwise there
wouldn't be any point in using the more curved stick.

Just out of curiosity, was there any reaction from BU to this whole incident?
 Usually, when Team A's coach calls for a stick measurement on somebody from
Team B, and the stick is found to be illegal, Team B's coaching staff reacts
with something like "What a lame thing to do, manipulating the rule book like
that.  We would *never* stoop to that level."  Which of course totally ignores
the fact that *their* player was breaking the rules by using the illegal stick
in the first place.  (Yeah, I know, illegal sticks are used all over the place
at all levels of hockey.  Everybody speeds, too.  Think that argument will work
on the nice police officer who pulls you over next time?)

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"A friend of mine became a billionaire by inventing Cliff Notes.  When I
 asked him where he got such a great idea, he said, 'Well, to make a long
 story short...'"
-- Steven Wright