From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:22:14 -0500
On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Ralph N. Baer wrote:

> I read in the  most recent issue of the Eastern College Hockey
> Advisor that RPI sophomore forward Mauro DiPaolo has left the school
> and is is now skating for Halifax in the QMJHL.  I don't think that
> anyone posted this yet. The ECHA goes on to state that "The 6-6 forward
> is hoping that the move will help him reach his ultimate goal of playing
> in the NHL.  He had 1 goal in 32 games at RPI."

I haven't seen DiPaolo on the bench all season, so I suspect his departure
occurred in the fall.  I don't think he was a scholarship player, since
RPI seems to have found some more to give for next year's class, and Brad
Tapper.  RPI had also offered Dan Evans of the Capital Selects a full
ride, but he ultimately opted for Clarkson.

Mauro was a lot of fun to watch, and many fans wondered what it would be
like to see a line with Pete Gardiner and Mauro DiPaolo out there.
DiPaolo sported a huge frame, 6'5" and 240 lbs, and was very easy to spot.
However I suspect Fridgen tried to increase team speed this year, and in
his incoming class, and DiPaolo was simply left out.  Wish the best for
him.  I certainly have more respect for him than the other recent Engineer
departee, some goalie who the NHL thought had potential....
Brian Morris                      RPI Engineers--A Sweep in Michigan?