From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:30:19 -0500
>as a goalie's father (and as a forward's dad too)- if I ever saw wnyone using
>a laser etc to "distract a goalie"- they would be eating some lumber. It is
>not only morally wrong- it is endangering someones physical well being and is
>a criminal act (assault)
I jsut wonder how long it'll be til hockey fans start getting those balloons
they hand out at basketball games and waving those into the opposing
goalie's face. :-) course hockey fans aren't as close to the action and have
boards between them and the playerrs, so the balloons probably wouldn't be
as effective.

>It is a sad commentary that "fans" have nothing to do except root against a
>team or taunt an opponent.
Hrm, there's a fine line here...I'm assuming you mean hating a team/rooting
against a specific team for the whole season rather than booing an opposing
team just for those games which you play against them. I agree is pretty
bad. But I see nothing wrong with fans using taunts to rattle an opposing
team, although it depends...some chants/taunts are great, others are just
plain bad and shouldn't be used.

>Assuming you could yell your lungs off and distract a goalie- would you really
>want to win that way?
Survival of the fitest. Heck yeah I'd take a win that way. They may not be
pros, but they're not playing in pee-wees either. College is all a
learning-experience supposedly, so we're just helping them learn to handle
tough crowds. :-)If the fans can become an extra attacker, go for it. It not
only helps recruiting if you've got a great, vocal fan base, it helps you
win games. It's what makes a home-ice advantage a home-ice advantage.
Besides, I know any USHL player can handle tough crowds, after going thru
Omaha, Lincoln, and other big crowds, and I bet a lot of players have been
in leagues with similar crowds.

Ben F.
U!N!O! U!N!O!